vrijdag 5 oktober 2018

Temporun, busy bees

20.93k
Start 7.11











Started off listening to News in Slow German at a suitable gentle warm up pace. But was thinking of the cut-off times I'd read about last night for the Groet uit Schoorl 30k race in February. If you don't get to the 20k point inside 2:23 you're not allowed to go on for the last 10 (limit 3:45) and have to end your race at the half marathon point.  So decided to turn my planned 18k run into a testrun for the 20k. Turned my iPod to music and picked up the pace.  Every 5k was faster than the one before it and I fininshed in 2:21. Phew! But... this was on a pleasant morning in October with next to no wind and on a flat course.  The race is on (I think mostly fairly smooth) bike tracks through wooded hilly bits and also has a stretch of beach (must check how long). In February, when it could be freezing and blowing a gale. I'm going to have to crank up my training regime a bit before then if I want to be sure of being allowed to finish the 30k on the day.  I'd really just seen it as a long run with lots of other folk about at a location half an hour down the coast. But for many this is a serious destination race and a run up to their spring marathons .To be honest I won't know for certain till the actual day itself if I'll make the cut off or not. Which does make it more interesting I suppose.  And maybe by the time I've slogged for 20k over sand and trail through hailstones and sleet I'll be quite happy when they point me to the half marathon route and I only have to do one more kilometer rather than 10!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten