zondag 11 mei 2014

Beemster Marathon

42.2k
Start 11.00

                                                                                                                   


4.44. I think... 
Bit of a messy organisation and a few things went wrong at the catering stations and I ended up running a bit further than I should in 2 places 

BUT 
main news is that I felt absolutely brilliant at the finish - I've never felt like that at the end of a marathon - as if I could do another one straight away (or a half at least ;-) 
Weather was wet and windy. Very wet and very windy. Horizontal hail stones at one point and at least a bit of drizzle for practically the entire route. 

And I was a superhero cause I was one of only 3 women running the whole distance as a lone runner (rather than as a bike-and-runner duo). So I had a great day on the whole despite a few annoyances. I actually can't wait to go and run a 'proper' (ie larger, with chip timing and not so much emphasis on the feeding stations and 'gezelligheid' along the way) marathon soon to test the Yasso 800 theory properly - I suspect the prediction of 4.37 could have been pretty accurate for me if some of the technical details had been more accurate.
_________________





I could write a whole treatise on today's run - full of 'metaphor of life' clichés. There were moments when I was well-irritated at the bits of sloppy organisation that caused me problems and was ready to drop out ('cause I'll never get the time I was aiming for now and it's Not Fair and it's Not My Fault!') but by just taking a deep breath and realising that it wouldn't actually make thAt much difference to the end result I got over myself and realised that I was actually enjoying the run and was more than capable of just keeping going. I felt strong - I was Actually Overtaking Other Folk towards the end. And these were people who'd alternated cycling and running along the route (and even a few of the solo men). Hahaha, you might have guessed - this wasn't exactly an elitist event. It was of course, great for my ego - the couple of small scale marathons I've done before I've been trailing at the end. In the big city ones it's easier to blend into the crowd if you're not so fast. This is the first time I've practically felt like a sub-elite myself ;-) 

Few practical points (possibly tmi...) - in my hot bath I felt a slight friction irritation between my buttocks - when running in wet clothes for hours you really should remember to put some vaseline on such places. I had dealt in good time with the bits under my arms that sometimes produce friction burns where my bras rub but hadn't thought about Down There. 

My iPod died before the half way mark - doesn't do well in too much rain - hopeully it will revive when dried out, it has before.



Day after report - very mild feeling of 'have done some work' in my calves but no pain as such. And my iPod has revived too so all is well in my post-marathon world. 

Another technical point I forgot yesterday (I'm trying to note down everything I did so I can possibly reproduce it again next time.) I took 2 paracetemols at about the half way mark. I've heard of a lot of distance runners who take painkillers beforehand as a matter of course and while I'm not really keen on this idea I have started to think 'why have pain if it can maybe be avoided?' And I have had some back and shoulder pain towards the end of previous marathons. And I remembered to take a snort of my 'serious' (ie for use during attacks rather than the preventative one) asthma medication beforehand too, which possibly helped open up my lungs a bit. (I sound like a right junky runner here...) 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten