zaterdag 8 september 2012

Good Sandy Laps

130 min
Start 6.00
Was keen to get out to try the newest in experimental minimalist shoes this morning.  When waiting for the car to get its MOT yesterday I wandered into Scapino and found these old fashioned gym shoes.  Just what I need.  No laces.  Easy to whip off to run barefoot on sand.  So that's what I did.  First an hour's circuit out round the fields and lanes and then 4 x the 1.9k sandy bridle path circuit round the Berekuil.  This simulates almost exactly the beach distance I'll have to do in Zeeland next month so is going to be a big feature in these last upcoming weeks of preparation. 
Run went brilliantly this morning.  Such a difference from last Sunday when I got home feeling like death after crawling along most of the way.  Today I was flying (well, flying for me then...) and even the sand didn't slow me down too much.  I'm beginning to think that I won't need the 6 hours after all - may even manage the course in 5 if things go as well as they did today (and there is no galeforce wind and the hilly bits don't wipe me out and, and, and...)
I've also started taking an isotone drink thing with me.  I've always been a bit wary of them because of all the sugar and extra calories.  But if they're going to stop my energy from dropping later in the run they might be a good idea after all.  And not so sickly as the gels I've used in the past during long races. 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten