maandag 21 juni 2010

Midsummer Moonlight + Sportsbras

107 min
Start 21.00
Perfect run. Perfect skies. Perfect podcasts.
Episode 8 of Geek Girl Runner was devoted to sportsbras and RunRunLive #126 had an interview with Buddy the Wonderdog. (He's a sheepdog - which is actually relevant to the topic of sportsbras - read on...)











As the sand was warm and dry I took my shoes off for a 20 minute barefoot session over the dunes. I should do this more often. Holding my running shoes isn't really a problem - I should even try to see it as being a positive in that it gives my arms a (tiny) weight workout as I run.




















I've had some email correspondance with Kris from the Geek Girl Runner podcast and I made a suggestion recently about a possible next topic for her programme. I was delighted that she actually took up this suggestion for #8 and made an informative and entertaining programme, incorporating interviews with various women and some bits and pieces from the email I'd sent her.

Here are the relevant bits of my original mail on the subject of sportsbras:

"I listen to other runners podcasts and have never heard ONE WORD about these unbelievably important items. I consider my bras to be The Most Essential Item of my running gear, I do in fact have some running shoes that have cost less than some running bras. I had to cancel a planned run on Monday from work to home because I'd forgotten to pack a sportsbra. Here's my tuppenceworth on the subject to maybe get you started.

Basically there are 2 types of sportsbras - the sheepdog and the pancake. The sheepdog 'rounds them up and points them in the right direction' and the pancake squashes them into submission. These 2 types obviously give completely different looks. For maximum support I find a combination of the 2 works best. A well-fitting sheepdog covered by a pancake. (Now there's a phrase you don't come across often...)

(Hey Sproet, get back to you own bits of blogworld, this time it's nOt about you! Yes I know you're a Border Collie, king of the Sheepdogs but this time I need a metaphorical sheepdog not an actual one...)

My latest favourite is a wonderful sportsbra from ODLO. Not sure which model it is but it cost about 50 euros and after buying my first one I went back a week later to get another 2. I usually wear a tight pancake model on top of this. Below you can see my favourite Adidas model but I also have a couple of slightly less restrictive Champions which still do the job (though they're older and losing their strongest support abilities a bit, I suspect they'll be demoted to swimwear this summer). The trick with the pancake style is to buy a size smaller than you'd think you'd need from the sizing guide. They tend to come in S,M,L which is not usually a good sign for bras but if you find that your actual brasize is on the cusp of the range they recommend, take the smaller size. This is a tip I got when I bought my first such model in a sportshop and it's a good one.

Another thing I do in winter when Getting Changed In the Cold is yet another barrier to getting out the door is to pull on a pancake bra on top of my everyday bra. Sometimes I'll even pull it on over the t-shirt I'm wearing already. (Then pull a running shirt over that for another layer against the cold and to stop me looking like a complete plonker.) Hey, it means I don't have to get completely undressed before being ready to go out for a run. It works for me..."

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten