vrijdag 19 maart 2010

Negative Split + Open Cycle Bridge

74 minutes
Start 6.00
Grey dawn so decided to add some interest/goal to the run by aiming for a 'negative split'. This is runner's jargon I've picked up somewhere and means that you run the second half of your run faster than the first. Doing this in a marathon is apparantly one of the best ways of getting a personal best time. For every minute you gain in the first half you lose 2 in the second half. So today I ran out to the cycle bridge - a few minutes after crossing it I had run 30 minutes so turned round and headed back along the same route. Had to stop and wait (stopped my clock too obviously) as the bridge opened to let a cargo boat through. The run back was against the wind and the few sloped bits were against me this time too but I still did the way back in 3 minutes less than the way out. Not sUch a great achievement as I really was taking it easy at the start but still handy to get to know how it feels to still have energy left for acceleration after running half of the planned distance. Will try it again with a longer distance next time. Once home put my Vibrams on and went out for a circuit of the Eng. The greatest annoyance about them is getting my toes into the right 'fingers'; once they're on they feel great and running feels fast and easy.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten