zondag 1 november 2009

Maple Leaf Cross

54.32
Start 14u
Ran this 3 x 3km route over dirt and grass paths this afternoon, even some soft sand now and then + one steep hill in each circuit. I took a wrong turning on the way there on the bike and arrived fearing I'd be too late to sign up as it was supposed to close for entry half an hour before the start. But it wasn't a problem and I just had time to pull off my long sleeved shirt, pin my number (with built-in chip)
to my shirt and get to the start. I've never seen one of these built in to the startnumber chips before, having only ever used the bigger ones you tie into your shoes.
I wasn't aiming for a fast time (ha, chance would be a fine thing! ;-) I just wanted to see how it went, was quite prepared to stop after 3 or 6k if I didn't feel great. At best I thought an hour for this 9k over rough ground would be fine, considering I do about 10.3kph over the half marathon on the road. First circuit I passed the finish at 17.30. Second was at 35.50 (18.20). Third (18.42). Hmm, still starting too fast then, whereas I felt as if the start was hard and it got easier as I went on. Must see if I can do something about this - the idea for running distances is that you keep enough back to be able to get faster as you progress. But anyway, I was delighted with the time, hadn't really expected this, so it looks like my week of little running because of a head cold hasn't really damaged the fitness I've built up over the summer. Cycled home in pouring rain and wind (the rain started falling lightly during the last circuit) soaked through to my underwear.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten