woensdag 5 mei 2010

Toppled Trees, a Highland Bull and a Gosling

102 min
Start 20.15
Ran along to see if I could see the Highland Cows and saw a large group of them in the first field of their reserve so adjusted my route to run along the river path instead of taking the longer way round. Had to climb over a fallen tree first and then took some photos of what I thought was the whole herd at a distance.
Further along the path I met a large bull. He stood staring at me as I walked very slowly past him, keeping an eye on the trees to my left along the river bank and working out which one I could get behind if he decided to charge. I had to pass very close, about 2 meters from him, whereas the signs at the beginning of the reserve warn not to go nearer than 25m and never to split the herd. But I've met him on his own before and didn't think he was going to do anything. He stood stock still and watched me as closely as I was watching him till I was behind him and then slowly continued ambling back to the rest of the his clan.
Another fallen tree on the cycle path on the other side of the river. Later startled a family of geese and when they scuttled off 2 of the goslings got stuck in a wide mesh fence so I pushed them back and then lifted them over to join their families. Geese are obviously not as family minded as swans, the parents made no moves to attack me when I was handling their offspring. Whereas I remember when Bas and Bobby were just swimming nearby a swan's nest they got well and truly told off for it.
Obviously I was too busy with the various wildlife incidents to pay much attention to my running but it went well enough. Got back just before total darkness. Forgot to synchronise mYpod last time I reloaded it with podcasts so was a bit confused to hear stuff I thought I had deleted coming round again but luckily there was still enough new stuff on it to keep me going.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten