vrijdag 2 oktober 2009

46 min
Start 15.00
Had my new dinky wee headlamp and my flourescent vest ready to get up and run in the dark this morning but just couldn't face it when the alarm went off... I know I know, 'not feeling like it' is no reason not to go out but in my defence (yer honour) I had been up late reading Christopher McDougall's amazingly good book and had just got to the bit (Chapter 25) where he explains why the shock-absorbing shoes we all pay loads of money for are actually bAd for us! Being a natural cynic I seldom come across things which truly shock me but this was one of them. I'm usually pretty good at spotting marketing ploys and avoiding them but this one has slipped so seamlessly into current ways of thinking about running that I've not only completely swallowed it but also passed it on to others. First thing I do when someone says they're starting running is 'Make sure you have good shoes.' I was so astonished by all the things I read that I couldn't sleep for ages for thinking about it all. So no wonder I couldn't manage to get out of bed a few hours later.

Anyway, today's run. There are lots of freshly-ploughed fields around the Eng at the moment so spent a good bit of it plodding through them. Not quite as nice as running along the sea shore but the effect on my legs is much the same I imagine. I was pleased to notice that I didn't have any trouble from muscle pain in my thighs after yesterday's unexpected 45 minute ride on Gypsy, the biggest horse in the RDA stables I help out at one morning a week. Previously when I've ridden after a long interval I've always been very aware of it the next day - this lack of effect must mean that my leg muscles have become stronger through running.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Hi, read "Born to Run" and would love to give it as a present to my brother who is Dutch and would be much more comfortable with a Dutch translation.
    would you know what the Dutch version of Born-to-Run is called and where I could order it online?
    Many thanks,
    Jos Smeele
    Copake, NY

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. De Geboren Renner is the (excellent) Dutch translation. Bol.com might be a good place to get it but I don't buy books online myself so am no expert.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen